You’ll love the combination of delicious buttercream frosting and chewy red velvet cookies in these red velvet cookie sandwiches. Easy to make, with no special equipment required, these are a must-try.
Cookie sandwiches are some of the best dessert options around for people who want a bit more oomph to their cookies.
You can try the chocolate chip cookie sandwiches that are a huge hit, but red velvet lovers will be happy to know that this red velvet cookie sandwich recipe will give you the red velvety flavor combined with traditional buttercream and they are magical.
In this red velvet cookie sandwich recipe, you’ll learn how to make these awesome treats and the best ways to store and eat them.
PS – wondering why red velvet cake is red? Check out our answer to why red velvet cake is red here!
GET A FREE COOKIE RECIPE BOOK & SECRET BAKING HACKS!
With 9 guaranteed-delicious cookie recipes and plenty of secret baking hacks, this is your ad-free key to cookie success!
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches
This means that you’ll need:
- red velvet cake mix
- vegetable oil
- icing sugar
- vanilla extract
Must-Have Baking Tools (seriously)
- Silicone baking mats – I use this brand and my cookies slide right off without burning!
- a cookie scoop – get this one. It makes the perfect rounded cookies every time!
- silicone spatula – try this set. It’s the best way to get the most out of your dough and batters
- rolling pin guides – I use this one. Genius way to roll your dough out evenly!
How to Make Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
Before you make a cookie sandwich, you need to make the cookies!
I used my red velvet cake mix cookie recipe, which is one of the easiest recipes ever with no chilling or any sort of mess – and no needing to soften butter, yay!
You can make these right before you make the sandwiches, just make sure to let them cool completely.
How to Make Buttercream Frosting
I fill cookie sandwiches with buttercream frosting, as it is soft and delicious, unlike a frosting like royal icing which would dry hard and not give you the texture you need for the filling.
I have a homemade buttercream frosting recipe, which you can absolutley make with just a bowl and a spoon, though an electric mixer is helpful if you have one.
I make this while the cookies are baking and cooling.
For this recipe, I’ve kept the buttercream its natural color.
How to Make Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches
So you’ve got your buttercream frosting and your red velvet cookies – time to make the cookie sandwiches!
Match up the cookies of similar sizes to be made into cookie sandwiches as best as you can, and then turn them over.
Pipe buttercream frosting in a circuluar movement, going from the inside to the outside of the cookie on one of the cookie bottoms.
I like to do a really thick layer, so complete one layer and then go over it again to make for really jaw-dropping cookie sandwiches.
Then, gently press the other cookie onto the frosted cookie and there you go!
Should You Eat Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches Cold?
You can eat red velvet cookie sandwiches cold or at room temperature, but we prefer these having just been removed from the refrigerated.
I always put them in the refrigerator right after making just to let them set slightly.
This also means they are less messy to eat when you’re ready to eat them – the cookie will stay together and not crumble when you bite into it.
- 1 batch of buttercream frosting
- 12 red velvet cake mix cookies
- Fill up a piping bag with your buttercream frosting and use a wide tip or cut off the end of the tipless piping bag to make a wide tip.
- Match up the cookies of similar sizes to be made into cookie sandwiches as best as you can, and then turn them over.
- Pipe buttercream frosting in a circuluar movement, going from the inside to the outside of the cookie on one of the cookie bottoms.
- Then, gently press the other cookie onto the frosted cookie and there you go!
1. I like to do a really thick layer of icing, so complete one layer and then go over it again to make for really jaw-dropping cookie sandwiches.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.