Pound cake is a classic dessert that is loved by many, but traditional recipes call for a lot of butter.
If you’re looking for a healthier or dairy-free alternative, then you’ll be happy to know that you can make a delicious pound cake without butter.
In this post, we’ll show you how to make a butter-free pound cake that’s just as moist and flavorful as the original recipe.
Must-Have Baking Tools (seriously)
- Silicone baking mats – I use this brand and my cookies slide right off without burning!
- a cookie scoop – get this one. It makes the perfect rounded cookies every time!
- silicone spatula – try this set. It’s the best way to get the most out of your dough and batters
- rolling pin guides – I use this one. Genius way to roll your dough out evenly!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make a Pound Cake Without Butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Substitutes for Butter in Pound Cake Recipes
In traditional pound cake recipes, butter is used to provide moisture, richness, and flavor.
However, there are several substitutes you can use to achieve the same results without using butter:
- Vegetable oil: In this recipe, we’ll be using vegetable oil as a substitute for butter. It provides moisture and richness to the cake, and it’s a great dairy-free alternative.
- Greek yogurt: You can also use Greek yogurt instead of butter. It provides moisture and richness, and it adds a tangy flavor to the cake.
- Coconut oil: Another dairy-free option is coconut oil. It has a slightly sweet flavor and provides a moist texture to the cake.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making a Butter-Free Pound Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and vegetable oil together with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, alternating with the milk, and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect Texture and Flavor Without Butter
- Be sure to beat the sugar and vegetable oil together until well combined. This will ensure that the cake is moist and tender.
- Don’t overmix the batter, as this can result in a tough cake. Mix until just combined.
- Use room temperature ingredients. This will help the ingredients incorporate better and create a smoother batter.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing it. This will help it set and hold its shape.
Variations and Flavor Add-Ins for Butter-Free Pound Cake
Lemon pound cake: Add the zest of 2 lemons to the batter for a bright and tangy flavor.
Chocolate chip pound cake: Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batter for a sweet and indulgent treat.
Almond pound cake: Add 1 teaspoon of almond extract to the batter and top with sliced almonds before baking for a nutty twist.
Frequently Asked Questions about Making Pound Cake Without Butter
Q: Can I use a different type of flour?
A: Yes, you can use cake flour or gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour.
Q: Can I use a different type of oil?
A: Yes, you can use any neutral-flavored oil such as canola, grapeseed, or sunflower oil.
Q: Can I use a non-dairy milk?
A: Yes, you can use any non-dairy milk such as almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk.
Q: Can I make this pound cake ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the pound cake ahead of time and store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts on Butter-Free Pound Cake
Making a pound cake without butter is easy and delicious.
By using vegetable oil instead of butter, you can create a moist and tender cake that’s just as flavorful as the traditional recipe.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations and flavor add-ins to make it your own.
Whether you’re looking for a dairy-free alternative or just want to try something new, this butter-free pound cake is sure to become a new favorite.