These gluten free peanut butter cookies are absolutely delicious, soft, and filled with rich flavors.
There are a few different ways to make peanut butter cookies, but the best gluten free peanut butter cookies are for people who want a soft peanut butter cookie.
You can also enjoy 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies, with are naturally gluten free but crispier.
In the absence of gluten, the cookies are held together with egg and xantham gum, and I’ll explain the tricks to make these successful.
GET A FREE COOKIE RECIPE BOOK!
With 9 of my best recipes and 9 must-have baking hacks, this cookie recipe book is essential for any baker’s collection.
For these gluten free peanut butter cookies, you’ll need:
- peanut butter
- soft brown sugar
- gluten free flour
What Kind of Peanut Butter Can I Use?
You can use your favorite brand of peanut butter, crunchy or chewy.
However, make sure it’s not the kind that has a bunch of oil on top – you want it all to be one jar of mixed up peanut butter instead of the separated type sold in the “healthy” aisle!
We’re making cookies here, people!
What Kind of Gluten Free Flour?
These cookies were made with plain white gluten free flour, which is a blended gluten free flour with multiple different types including rice flour and potato flour.
I haven’t tried with a specific gluten free flour, like coconut flour, but would love to hear what you think!
How to Make Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
First, preheat your oven to 375 F/190C and pull out a big bowl.
You can use one bowl for all of the mixing, hurrah!
Combine the butters, sugars, and egg together in one bowl until combined.
Add in the peanut butter and mix.
Gradually add in the flour and salt and xantham gum, mixing until fully combined.
Make the cookies into small balls and place on a baking sheet.
They will spread in the oven so make sure to put them 2 inches apart, and you can flatten them with a fork for that iconic peanut butter cookie look.
My Dough is Too Wet – what do I do?
If your dough is too wet and you’re not able to roll it easily with your hands, gradually add in more flour until you are able to work with it.
You shouldn’t be spooning it onto the baking tray, you should be able to roll it.
How to Store/Freeze
Store these cookies at room temperature for up to a week, or freeze individually wrapped in saran wrap for up to 3 months!
- 4 ounces (175 grams) butter, softened
- 2 ounces (50 grams) peanut butter
- 4 ounces (100 grams) sugar
- 4 ounces (100 grams) soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 ounces (150 grams) gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
- First, preheat your oven to 375 F (190C) and pull out a big bowl.
- Combine the butters, sugars, and egg together in one bowl until combined.
- Add in the peanut butter and mix.
- Gradually add in the flour and salt and xantham gum, mixing until fully combined.
- Make the cookies into small balls and place on a baking sheet. They will spread in the oven so make sure to put them 2 inches apart, and you can flatten them with a fork for that iconic peanut butter cookie look.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned
- Let cool and enjoy!
1. If you don't have xantham gum, you can still make the cookies but they will be a bit more crumbly and less soft.
2. The traditional form marks in the cookies are totally optional - I just like to do them because that's what many people associate with peanut butter cookies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g