These easy peanut butter cookies only use 3 ingredients that you likely have on hand already, making them a great cookie choice when you’re out of flour or want an easy cookie recipe for the kids.
Peanut butter cookies are such a classic cookie that we don’t always understand the history behind.
For instance, those classic fork marks on peanut butter cookies that create a grid in the cookie?
The first instance of a cookbook encouraging bakers to do this was in the 1930s, but with no explanation given.
And we’ve all just continued on doing it like that!
These classic peanut butter cookies go with the standard 3 ingredients that create a soft cookie on the inside and a crisp cookie on the outside.
No flour peanut butter cookies for the win!
You’ll only need peanut butter, sugar, and an egg, which is an incredibly short shopping list so that makes this a great option when your pantry is pretty empty.
The flavor in these peanut butter cookie recipe is decidedly peanut buttery.
If you don’t like peanut butter, skip this one as that’s the main flavor you’re getting here.
They are not just peanut butter flavored, but full on peanut butter cookies.
GET A FREE COOKIE RECIPE BOOK & SECRET BAKING HACKS!
With 9 guaranteed-delicious cookie recipes and plenty of secret baking hacks, this is your ad-free key to cookie success!
Can I Substitute Almond Butter for Peanut Butter in Peanut Butter Cookies?
If your peanut butter substitute has roughly the same consistency of peanut butter, you can create your own version.
Must-Have Baking Tools (seriously)
- Silicone baking mats – I use this brand and my cookies slide right off without burning!
- a cookie scoop – get this one. It makes the perfect rounded cookies every time!
- silicone spatula – try this set. It’s the best way to get the most out of your dough and batters
- rolling pin guides – I use this one. Genius way to roll your dough out evenly!
Should I Use Creamy or Chunky Peanut Butter in Peanut Butter Cookies?
I would recommend using creamy peanut butter, but that’s by no means a requirement.
You can use creamy or chunky peanut butter in peanut butter cookies, but make sure you don’t use a brand that has the oil sitting on top as the consistency won’t be right (I prefer this brand).
How Do You Store Peanut Butter Cookies?
You can store peanut butter cookies in an airtight food storage container at room temperature for up to about a week (these are my favorite).
Can You Freeze Peanut Butter Cookie Dough?
Yes, you can freeze peanut butter cookie dough for up to about 3 months, but it’s such an easy recipe that it’s easy to calculate the exact amount you need so I wouldn’t recommend planning to freeze it.
How Can I Make Peanut Butter Cookies More Interesting?
One of my favorite ways to take classic peanut butter cookies up a level is to drizzle them with chocolate sauce and serve.
The chocolate and peanut butter flavors together are a winner.
How to Make 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
The method to making 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies is incredibly easy and doesn’t require any type of crazy mixing equipment.
You’ll start with 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, and one egg.
Seriously, that’s it.
Combine them all in one bowl at the same time, mixing until the consistency is smooth.
This dough is pretty sticky, but that’s okay for this.
Grease a cookie sheet and use a spoon to put about 2 tablespoons worth of dough in heaping balls on the sheet about 2 inches apart.
Use the back of a fork to made a grid in the cookies and press them down a bit, giving them the classic peanut butter cookie look.
Put them in an oven heated to 175 F for about 8 minutes, and make sure to take out when the sides are very lightly browned.
I opt for taking cookies out earlier rather than later, as they’ll firm up once they cool.
Let them cool on a wire rack until you can pick them up without them crumbling and enjoy!
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
This classic peanut butter cookie recipe is one of the easiest cookie recipes with only 3 ingredients. You don't even need flour, just peanut butter, sugar, and an egg.
- 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, just not a natural one with oil on top) (240 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 345 F (175 C)
2. Combine ingredients all in one bowl at the same time, mixing until the consistency is smooth.
3. Grease a cookie sheet and use a spoon to put about 2 tablespoons worth of dough in heaping balls on the sheet about 2 inches apart.
4. Use the back of a fork to made a grid in the cookies and press them down a bit, giving them the classic peanut butter look.
5. Put them in an oven heated to 175 F for about 8 minutes, and make sure to take out when the sides are very lightly browned. I opt for taking cookies out earlier rather than later, as they'll firm up once they cool.
6. Let them cool on a wire rack until you can pick them up without them crumbling and enjoy!
The dough will be pretty sticky, unlike other cookie doughs that are easy to roll out, but that's what you want!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 5g