These blueberry chocolate chip muffins are moist, filled with flavor, and can be made with frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries.
Blueberries are such fun ingredients to make muffins with because of the pops of color that you get, and also they’re delicious and being able to make frozen blueberry muffins means you can make them even when blueberries aren’t readily available in your area.
I didn’t even use an electric mixer for this batter because I wanted to keep it simple, so the ingredients and an old-fashioned wooden spoon will be plenty to help you create these life-changing muffins.
Or, at least, waist-changing.
We were trying to save them, but we ate the whole batch in a day.
GET A FREE COOKIE RECIPE BOOK!
With 9 of my best recipes and 9 must-have baking hacks, this cookie recipe book is essential for any baker’s collection.
Ingredients and Tools
To make these chocolate chip and blueberry muffins, you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- butter, softened
- light brown sugar
- 2% milk
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
- blueberries, frozen or fresh
And you’ll also want a muffin/cupcake tin (this one is great) to make these in, as well as a toothpick or other implement you can use to test the doneness.
How to Make Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Start by combining the flour, baking powder and salt into one bowl, whisking with a fork.
In a larger bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until it’s lighter in color and fluffy.
Add in the eggs to the wet mixture and continue combining.
Add in the milk and vanilla extract and combine until blended into the wet mixture.
Slowly pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture, combining as you go.
Once you no longer see any streaks of flour, add the blueberries and chocolate chips and stir in.
Fill the muffin tin with batter, about 3/4ths of the way up.
Bake at 375 F (190C) for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tops appear to be set and a toothpick comes out of the center of one of the muffins clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Why Brown Sugar?
One of the major components of this recipe and the reason the muffins are a bit darker than you might be used to is that I’ve used all brown sugar.
Brown sugar helps us get the moistness in these muffins and a richness of flavor that you just don’t get with granulated sugar.
They’re chewy, they’re absolutely delicious, and they have an extra “kick” of flavor from the brown sugar that I absolutely love.
What to Serve with Blueberry and Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you’re eating these for breakfast, they can be a standalone item, or serve with something lighter like eggs.
For a snack, pair with a glass of milk or some fresh fruit.
How to Store
Storing these blueberry chocolate chip muffins is easy in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
They don’t need to go in the fridge.
If you want them to keep longer, you’ll need to freeze them for up to 3 months, individually wrapped in saran wrap.
However, they’re much better fresh.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (113 grams)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed (200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Start by combining the flour, baking powder and salt into one bowl, whisking with a fork.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until it's lighter in color and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs to the wet mixture and continue combining.
- Add in the vanilla extract and milk and combine until blended into the wet mixture.
- Slowly pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture, combining as you go.
- Once you no longer see any streaks of flour, add the blueberries and chocolate chips and stir in.
- Bake at 375 F (190C) for about 20 minutes, or until the tops appear to be set and a toothpick comes out of the center of one of the muffins clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 412Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 421mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 3g